2009年7月30日 星期四

Time, 57 days left


After going on writing in English over nine days, I was almost out of thought about what to write tonight. Luckily, one of my favorite books inspired me. It used to be one of my English course texts, offering diversity of topics and issues. I pretty fancy this kind of books. One the one hand, it provides information about certain topics, such as time, marrage etc. On the other hand, the next unit in this book will follow its last topic to present a issue, which let its readers' concepts extend further. These series of book, "ACTIVE skills for Reading", written by Neil J. Anderson, have three different levels.

Keywords and phrases:
time, following schedule, to schedule, punctual, horology, to keep track of time, early clocks, timepiece, to patent in 1876, quarts-powered clocks, accurate, atomic clocks, reliable, to monitor, to coordinate, a universal time standard, nuclear energy, being on time, spend time, save time, kill time, waste time, make time

Today the topic of my writing is about time. In the article from the book I read, I got some knowledge of time. Following schedule, being on time, spend time wisely and so on are one of the common situations in which people are involved. Being Punctual has also become a virtue for people in all ranges of society. Why do I say so? As inventions of instruments used to keep track of time has continued to get better for centuries, there aren't any excuses for people to make for not knowing what time it is. Can you imagine what the earlist alarm clock looks like? Well, it was made by sticking a nail into a candle. When the candle burnt down, the nail would fail to the tin candleholder. The noise of the nail hitting the tin would wake the sleeper. However, that may not work to a deep-sleeper like me! I also learnt that Americans already knew how to protect their ideas for making goods from stealing by others in very early time. Inventors patented their own knowledge. How does a quartz-powered clock work? I wondered how a stone can provide electricity to a clock.
As people asked to have more accurate time in their lives, consistancy in clock power for horologist became the priority. Atomic clocks, powered by nuclear energy, are the most advanced clocks at present. They make time highly reliable and easy to monitor. Atomic clocks which are coordinated creat a universal time standard. Expressions such as "Time is money," "Time marches on," "Time flies when you are having fun," and "Time is the most valuable thing a person can spend" is guilding me to look the time in my life from a different angle. I am going to make time to develop another interest of mine.

標籤:

0 個意見:

張貼留言

訂閱 張貼留言 [Atom]

<< 首頁