2009年8月1日 星期六

My bookreport of "Who Was Louis Armstrong?" 55 days left


I guess I have been making mistakes in regarding a bookreport as an article. I just learned this new word "bookreport" from my English teacher, Mr. Chris, this afternoon. Well, I think the few posts I wrote these days should be bookreports instead of articles because most of the writings were based on some books I read before.

KEYWORDS and PHRASES:
rough and tumble a., gun, crime, support, maid, grandmother,
slave n., strict a., swat v., be grateful for sth., concern n.

As the title read, it won't be difficult to guess that I am reading a book about Mr. Louis Armstrong. Since born in 1901, little Louis spent his childhood in a rough and tumble area called Storyville, a poor and black section of New Orleans. Because of lots of guns and crime in the area, Storyvill also got a nickname, Battlefield. Louis' mother, Mayann Armstrong, got to support her two children by herself. Sometimes, she worked as a maid. When she went out to work for days, Josephine, Louis' grandmother, would take care of him and his sister named Beatrice. Josephine used to be a slave. But now she made her living washing and ironing clothes for white people. She would gave little Louis some money to pick up and deliver the clothes for her. Josephine was very strict and often asked Louis to go to church, and even Sunday school. As Louis didn't behave himself, she would swatted his behind with a branch. Ha ha!! This reminded me of the similar situations that I once had. However, Louis was very grateful for Josephine's concern. He knew she just didn't want to let the awful living environment have any bad affects on him.

to be continued...









標籤:

0 個意見:

張貼留言

訂閱 張貼留言 [Atom]

<< 首頁